Day 4 – Mt Cook to Tekapo
About the Stage Sponsor
Honda (NZ) is supporting the 2019 Tour of New Zealand cycling event. 280 riders, 8 days, 9 stages and 600 km to cycle, Honda is leading the way with the Jazz Tour of New Zealand Race Lead Vehicle.
Honda (NZ) joined the Tour in 2015 with an amazing idea to boost fundraising. With the opportunity given for a rider to win the lead car, sponsorship of riders went up 300% and a further 100% in Tour 2017! Our partnership with Honda NZ is highly valued and their generosity beyond expectation with the provision of a 2019 Honda Jazz rewarding one of our riders and their fundraising efforts. Every competitor has the opportunity to win the car by being in the prize draw.
Check out the 2017 Honda video below:
Take time to walk on some of the short trails around the village and taken some incredible photos. After a hearty breakfast we start in the Mountain Village for an exhilarating downhill ride (but don’t be fooled – there are some short sharp up hills awaiting you as well)… The arrival at Tekapo is very special as there are hot pools to rest in and a good hot shower to freshen you prior to your 3 hour transfer to the Christchurch International Airport and your chartered Air New Zealand airbus that will fly you North to Rotorua. There will be a transition point (to be advised) near the Airport to load bikes and bags onto the transporter prior to embarking from Christchurch Airport.
We’ve made your transfer from Christchurch easy for you:
- Pack up your bike into its bike bag,
- On arrival in Chch you’ll be met at the transition point (to be advised by our crew). They will load your bike onto the transporter, along with any excess bag you may have, for its road-trip to Rotorua.
- Drop off your rental car, or park up your own vehicle (NB: please make your own arrangements).
- Check in at Chch Airport for the Tour charter flight to Rotorua. (Two flights, time to be confirmed).
- Your bike and excess baggage will arrive in Rotorua at approximately 3pm the following day – the rest day.
- There are a limited number of seats available for your support person/driver on the charter flight to Rotorua. There are also a number of direct flights Christchurch-Rotorua available on the Air New Zealand website. If your driver wishes to accompany you and drive your North Island stages, they can continue with you throughout the Tour.
- Rental cars/vans will be available in Rotorua, so you can continue your journey through to Wellington and drop your vehicle off there.
100 kms today and the first 20 kms will be fast and easy, as you drop a couple of hundred of metres before rolling country beside Lake Pukaki and your turn North for the second half of today’s stage. Hoping to take you off the Main Road and onto the canal roads before your last 10kms ride into the mountain village beside Lake Tekapo. If the weather is unfavourable this stage will be shortened to allow time to meet airline requirements.
|7.30 AM||Stage start outside Hermitage Hotel|
|11.00 AM||First riders arrive Tekapo, head to the hot pools|
|1:00 AM||Last finishers arrive at Tekapo|
|Travel to Christchurch (3.5 hours)|
|4.30 PM||Air NZ Flight times (4.30 & 6.00pm *TBC)|