Day 4 – Mt Cook to Tekapo
About the Stage Sponsor
Honda (NZ) is supporting the 2019 Tour of New Zealand cycling event. 280 riders, 8 days, 9 stages and 600 km to cycle, Honda is leading the way with the Jazz Tour of New Zealand Race Lead Vehicle.
Honda (NZ) joined the Tour in 2015 with an amazing idea to boost fundraising. With the opportunity given for a rider to win the lead car, sponsorship of riders went up 300% and a further 100% in Tour 2017! Our partnership with Honda NZ is highly valued and their generosity beyond expectation with the provision of a 2019 Honda Jazz rewarding one of our riders and their fundraising efforts. Every competitor has the opportunity to win the car by being in the prize draw.
Check out the 2017 Honda video below:
Mount Cook will be towering over you on the start line today. The Mountain rises 12,000 feet above Mt Cook village and autumn snow will be hopefully restricted to the top 3,000 feet! We will decide on the day how far this stage will ride. Minimum and probable length 55km finishing on the shores of Lake Pukaki. Camera lens zooming in on you (and the fabulous scenery) from our Race Helicopter will be focused on you by our camera crew. Transfers from the finish should give you time to freshen up with a swim in the Tekapo hot pools and shower rooms on your way to the Christchurch Airport and the Air New Zealand AirBus that awaits you.
|6:45 – 7:15 am||Sign in at The Hermitage village|
|7:30 am||Stage start|
|9:45 am||Last finishers due to arrive at Lake Pukaki Eastern carpark|
|10:15 – 11:00 am||Tekapo for showers and freshen up|
|4:00 pm||Chartered Air NZ flight departs Christchurch|
|5:50 pm||Arrive in Rotorua|
If shortened (weather and time constrictions) 55 km today and the first 20 km will be fast and easy, as you drop a couple of hundred meters out of the village. Then rolling country that turns to head North and the car park and Toilets of the eastern Pukaki carpark and Mt Cook Lookout. Here our transport will await you. Pack your bike into a bike bag or box here or do this at Tekapo ready for your flight. (some bikes will be transported by our Avanti trailer or vans and these will not need to be bagged or boxed but good if they are.
We’ve made your transfer from Christchurch easy for you:
- If you choose to carry your bike on the Aircraft please pack up your bike into its bike bag or box prior to arriving at the airport so you can quickly transition to the baggage area of Air New Zealand after drop off. Carry only regulation hand luggage onto the plane. Excess baggage will be carried by our vehicles overnight to Rotorua.
- We will transfer all bikes travelling by our vehicles (your choice) overnight, into the Avanti Trailer or other vehicles at the Pukaki finish.
- If you have your own transport arrangements then drop off your rental car (or park up your own vehicle where you choose) and make your own way to the Airport. If you leave Tekapo at 11.00am you should have about 60 minutes spare on arrival in Christchurch to achieve this.
- The Air New Zealand plane will leave at 4.00pm and we have to be at the airport at 3.15pm to check in bikes etc.
- Your bike (if you choose the overnight road plan) plus your excess baggage will arrive in Rotorua at approximately 3 pm on Wednesday – the rest day.
- There could be a limited number of seats available for your support person/driver on the charter flight to Rotorua. These cost $270 per person. We will advise availability by Mid February. Please advise us if this an option you would prefer. There are also a number of direct flights Christchurch-Rotorua available on the Air New Zealand website on Tuesday night or Wednesday morning. We suggest you book early.
- Rental cars/vans are available in Rotorua, so you can continue your journey through to Wellington and drop your vehicle off there. Email us for details.